Learning AFAR Foster Children
No Barriers and AFAR Media share a similar vision: to make the life-changing power of authentic experiential travel available to all students regardless of their social and economic background.
At any given time there are more than 425,000 kids in the foster care system and recent data indicates that more than half of the children in U.S. foster care system are young people of color. Furthermore, foster children face a multitude of obstacles and barriers in life and only 50% of these students graduate high school by the age of 18.
Fully Funded Expeditions
With support from AFAR Media and other generous donors, No Barriers Youth offers a fully funded annual Expedition for students who are in foster care or have been in the system previously. Selecting and working with a passionate Group Leader, No Barriers Youth selects scholarship recipients that demonstrate financial need, academic merit, and leadership potential.
The Learning AFAR Foster Care Program takes a group of 10 girls and 2 Group Leaders to the stunning and rugged scenery of the US Southwest. There, the group rafts the San Juan River, explore the spectacular National Monuments, and visit the Navajo Nation, the largest American Indian reservation in the country. The stunning scenery of the desert never fails to awe and inspire those who take the time to discover its riches and there is no better place to contemplate your place in the universe than under the desert sky’s magnificent canvas of stars!
Click HERE for more details about the U.S. Southwest Itinerary!
APPLICATION AND DETAILS
- • APPLY NOW! N/A
- • Application Deadline: N/A
- • Location: N/A
- • Dates: N/A
ELIGIBILITY & ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA
- • Age 15-19 at time of trip, required
- • Ideal participants demonstrate leadership skills and potential, academic merit, an interest in pursuing education outside of the classroom, and an interest in the natural world. No prior outdoor experience is required.
- • This program is open to youth who are currently involved in the Foster Care system or have previously been involved in the Foster Care system.
- • Youth from diverse backgrounds and experiences will be prioritized.
- • Merit is evaluated via GPA and short essays addressing: Leadership Potential; Affinity for the Environment and Desire to Grow.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on this transformational program.