No Barriers Pioneers – Explore Nepal
An Expedition Unlike Any Other
At No Barriers Youth we believe we all face challenges and it’s not those obstacles that define us, but our reaction to those challenges, and our ability to overcome those preconceived notions that prevent us from becoming our absolute best!
On this multi-day expedition to Nepal, one of the most remote regions in the world, students with diverse abilities, physical challenges, and youth struggling to excel beyond their perceived limitations, will trek through the Himalayas, communicate cross-culturally, and learn from their Nepalese peers and their rich history and culture.
Participants willing to expand their comfort zones and break through barriers will be guided by three truly inspirational No Barriers Ambassadors:
Erik Weihenmayer – The first blind person to reach the summit of Mount Everest, Erik has climbed all Seven Summits, kayaked the Grand Canyon, and received a double major from Boston College. Through these inspirational expeditions and personal exploits he helped co-found not merely an organization, but a movement called No Barriers. Erik is also a co-founder and current board member of No Barriers USA.
Bill Barkeley – An inspirational adventurer, Bill was the first deaf-blind individual to reach the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro. He’s completed the Boston Marathon, twice, and hiked the Camino de Santiago from France to the tip of Spain. Bill is a motivational speaker who focuses on building a life without limits and is also a current board member of No Barriers USA.
Mandy Harvey – Mandy is an award winning singer, songwriter and has three albums to her name despite the fact that she’s deaf. Recently she inspired millions with her rise to stardom on America’s Got Talent. As a motivational speaker Mandy shares her challenges while living the No Barriers spirit and demonstrating the courage to achieve the impossible.
Expedition Details & Highlights
- 14 day expedition in early June of 2018. Dates TBD
- Depending on final itinerary estimated cost will be $6500-$7500
- Expedition open to youth ages 14-18
- Blind and visually impaired and deaf and hard of hearing participants will be fully supported
- Students with physical barriers and students with invisible or non-physical barriers are strongly encouraged to participate
- The journey begins in the thriving city of Kathmandu
- Travel to the trekking capital of Pokhara and onto the remote region of Mustang
- Experience all types of travel from fixed wing aircrafts, to jeeps, to horseback, and more
- Participate in cultural exchange activities
- Be immersed in local communities and learn about sustainable development
- Soak up the art, history, and culture of this fascinating destination
- Much, much more!
Interested? Let us know!